Vitruvius’ CAD tip for finding the area of a closed region.
If you need to figure out the area of an arbitrary closed region of a 2D shape in AutoCAD here is the quickest way to achieve this.
Below is a step by step guide accompanied with visual aids to the right:
- Type AREA (↵ or ‘space bar’) to initiate the area command.
- When asked to specify the first corner point, hover the cursor over a corner of the area you wish to measure and click.
- Then move the cursor over to the second point and click. You will see a hashed line following the cursor.
- Continue to proceed to move the cursor over your third point and click. You will now start to see a green hatch appear between the points.
- Continue with the above steps until all corners of closed region are highlighted.
- Once all corners have been clicked press ↵ or ‘space bar’ and this will give you the area of your defined region.